Thursday, July 26, 2012

WHY GREEN TEA?
We all know green tea is supposed to be good for us. Without any thought of its health benefits, some months back I surprised myself by wanting green rather than my usual black morning tea. I've been drinking it ever since, really liking it, and have no idea how long this preference will last.


So I got curious about exactly what green tea contains that makes it so special. (I've never been very good at doing anything "blindly.") 


I found out the following -- backed up by Harvard U Health Watch, which says "The proof about green tea is in":

  • Green tea is the best food source of a group of plant-derived antioxidants called cathechins. "In test tubes, catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E in halting oxidative damage to cells and have other disease-fighting properties." One study reported green tea as 200 times more potent an antioxidant than Vitamin E.
  • Studies have found an association between drinking green tea and a reduced risk of several cancers, heart disease, and high blood pressure, as well as increasing HDL (good cholesterol), lowering LDL, and thus improving artery function.
  • SPECIAL NOTE TO BLOGMATES:  Clinical studies also suggest that green tea can boost metabolism and help burn fat. (From more than one source.)
  • 2-3 cups a day is suggested.
  • Loose-leaf green tea is more potent than tea bags.
  • Green tea contains less caffeine than black tea. Black tea has far less caffeine than coffee.


PS:  Other foods that provide potent antioxidants (catechins), although not as much as brewed green tea, are: 
  • Dark chocolate tops the list "if a pure Netherland source." 
  • Berries are your best nutrient-rich, calorie wise option, e.g., blueberries and blackberries. (The darker the berry, the more the antioxidants.) 
  • The skin of apples is third richest in catechins.

For today, I seem to be enjoying things that are good for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment