Monday, July 9, 2012


THE LAST TIME I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT ALMONDS--PROMISE, CROSS MY HEART
   I know I’ve blogged about almonds before, but they continue to educate me about portions. (For me, “portions” is a dull, grim word, which makes me think of diet police and strict, unpleasant rules and no-no's. Must try to think of a kinder, gentler word.)
    So, as you know I’ve been poking my nose into WW’s point system, with Kim’s help. Yesterday, I did my first daily eating tally. Almonds — the one very small packet I had as a snack — comprised over 1/3 of my daily points allotment. As it turns out, almonds are not the miniscule snack I’ve heretofore considered them to be. A handful of almonds, which is what I've been eating just about every day, is a humongous snack if you’re looking to lose weight. These tiny nuts gobble up a full 10 WW points that I could be using to eat bigger things. (How’s that for refined thinking?)
    Looking on the positive side, which as you all know I'm very good at doing, all I have to do is forgo that daily handful--which is gone in an eating flash anyway. As a result, I'll will have 10 more  points to play with in a single day. My choices can expand -- within limits, of course.
    If I were to write an essay called “My 2012
Summer of Dieting,” no subtitle would be more apt than “My Reluctant Encounter With Reality.” 


PS: Lest I mislead, I am not officially following the WW program. But it has given me "boundaries" I didn't really have before. With respect to WW, I guess you could say I'm "auditing." 




No comments:

Post a Comment