Do you not use a red sauce on your pasta because of unwanted points? Or do you prefer the EVO? I've never quite taken to dressing my pasta with olive oil. Perhaps because of the oily/slimy texture. (You know how we are about texture.)
In my reading on nutrition, tomatoes are highly recommended over and over, especially cooked, for powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients, especially lycopene, which the body can't produce itself apparently and can only get from food. (Of course, it's fresh tomatoes that are highly recommended. Unfortunately,I still have 3-1/2 jars of red sauce to consume.)
A few tips from Dr. Oz:
1. Olive Oil Spray
Although olive oil is rich in health benefits, its caloric contribution can add up quickly. Instead of dousing your veggies in oil, use an olive oil cooking spray! The best olive oil cooking sprays are made right at home with an oil mister. It’s perfect for roasting vegetables, and is especially tasty in this roasted asparagus and tomatoes recipe. This flavorful dish cooks in just 6 minutes, making it the perfect side dish for a busy night.
2. Recipe:
A simple tomato sauce is the kind of thing you can use on anything – pasta, vegetables or chicken. It’s something that’s best when fresh. Instead of buying bottled tomato sauce from the supermarket, try a simple recipe that’ll yield enough for multiple dishes!
Ingredients:
Ingredients
4 lbs fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
Directions
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large iron skillet or saucepan.
Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
Add tomato and heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, stirring often or until sauce has thickened.
I love olive oil. I love it so much and I particularly like flavored ones where you add rosemary. I love to dip my bread in it more then butter now. My kids like it too! I love any pasta with olive oil and garlic and then diced fresh tomatoe. Your recipe sounds great too!Thanks
ReplyDelete