9 A.M.: JUST THINKING
There's an expression in Buddhist circles:
"Before enlightenment, we hew wood and carry water;
after enlightenment, we hew wood and carry water."
I think of this now as my ideal weight (can't say ideal "shape" yet) comes closer into view. Before trimming down, we hew wood and carry water, we forego our comfort foods and drink lots of water. After trimming down, we hew wood and carry water, we forego our comfort foods and drink lots of water. In diet circles, the latter would be called "maintenance," a rather grim word, I think. I prefer "hew wood and carry water." In the event I get to where I want to get to -- which I realize might not be possible without attending to "shape," i.e., "fit," as well -- I'm thinking it would be wise to get ready mentally for "after." For we humans who must be vigilant around food (unless there's some kind of inner transformation, I suppose), there is no final arrival; like life, it's a journey, goddamnit.
PS: Remembering to note the good: with respect to strength and shape, I am doing my pushups (still with an "ugh" for now)and I continue with yoga.
No comments:
Post a Comment