Sunday, September 2, 2012

COMMENT TO KIM
About unwanted inches -- inches of unwanted fat cells. This is on my mind too since having myself taken a few measurements recently. Remember the classic book "Fit or Fat"? (Once you read it, you can never forget it.) One particular thing I want to remind you of, or pass on from that book by Covert Bailey, is the fat-burning, muscle-protecting, muscle-building benefits of aerobic exercise. In the first 20 minutes of aerobic exercise, the body uses mostly stores of glycogen for energy -- glycogen is glucose/sugar/carbohydrate stored in muscle. After 20 minutes, your body turns mostly to its fat stores. So, while you contemplate adding strength-training to your workout, which would be amazing, this is just to remind you that you have already begun to lose fat -- not just by losing weight, but by all your walking. And you will continue to burn fat, cell by cell, as you keep on walking. 

I've aspired to strength-training for as long as I can remember. What always defeated me was the reps-to-exhaustion aspect -- and also not being able to afford a personal trainer to help me with form. I'm hoping to try again using a pilates "resistance tubing with handles" that I picked up at a garage sale AND the modified push-ups we've committed to, or at least I think we've committed to. (Just stopped typing and did 4 on the floor.)

Love,
M


1 comment:

  1. I did commit but am lacking so to speak. Funny enought I do remember fit or fat. And, I knew way back then although I appeared thin so to speak, I knew I was fat. All so interesting. I am taking Thursday as the first day of school as my new beginning.

    ReplyDelete